SAS watchout page
In this page some issues concerning SAS
and XMM-Newton data analysis are reported,
along with recommended workarounds and/or solutions, and useful tricks and tips.
Many of the items below are extracted from the
HelpDesk questions database,
and frequently updated.
Users are invited to search this database, especially the SAS related folders,
before contacting the
In addition, users should also check release notes of latest SAS patches, available
on the SAS News
web page, as a new patch might have been released already fixing the encountered problem.
If you encounter a new issue in analyzing XMM-Newton data with the SAS software, please
try to give as much information as needed to reproduce your problem, including
the following details:
- Output of the sasversion command,
- Observation identifier,
- Information about the CCF in use.
Current SAS Version related issues
- Why are there library conflicts when running Heasoft tools? --
- Why did the names of the RGS extraction regions change with SAS 13.0?
- Missing libpng12.0.dylib when running SAS tasks on MacOSX 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion), 10.7.4 (Lion) and
10.6.8 ("Snow Leopard") 64-bit? --
- Why are ESAS routines within SAS needing special calibration files? --
Evergreen tips and tricks
- Is the RGS-pn rectification correction valid for data processed with SAS 13? --
- Why do I have to correct EPIC-pn Timing Mode exposures for X-ray Loading (only
necessary for observations performed until 23 May 2012)? --
- Should I use evselect or epiclcorr for obtaining EPIC light curves? --
- These long parameter names are really annoying ... --
- How do I compare two Calibration Index Files? --
- Can I generate EPIC response matrices with all types of spectral binning? --
- Where can I find canned EPIC response matrices? --
- Can I perform the barycentric correction on OM data in Fast Mode? --
- How can I convert from OM count rates to fluxes? An update --
- Dealing with MOS1 data in Timing Mode: I heard that one column in MOS1 Timing Mode
is affected by "high offset", can I still analyze the data? --
- Why does it take so long to produce an ODF? --
- Why do I get problems ingesting RGS (pipeline) spectra into XSPEC V12.x and
how can I solve this?
- How do I know which CCF were used to reduce my event list? --
- I do not find EPIC (or RGS or OM) processed data in my PPS distribution.
Did something go wrong with the pipeline processing? --
Previous SAS Version related issues
- Cannot use epproc with runepnoise = yes? --
- Absolute timing analysis of data taken after 1 July 2012 needs a file update --
- The task xmmextractor does not run in SAS 12.0.0 built on Ubuntu 8.04 and openSUSE 11.2 --
- On Linux Ubuntu, some SAS tasks do not run due to a missing library, libXaw8.so.8 --
- Bug in the effective area generation for PN Burst mode data --
- Why am I getting a warning "EPN/BUCLOSEDODI (or EPN/TICLOSEDODI) is not a known
instrument/filetype combination"? --
- GTI filtering in emosaicproc: GTI parameters (pngtilists,
mos1gtilist and mos2gtilist) are not used for any filtering.
Is there any workaround for such a problem? --
- Why won't emosaic combine my image masks? --
- Why do I need to update ESAS CalDB? --
- When running the SAS 11.0.0 GUI (sas) for Mac OS X Leopard on PowerPC,
fonts appear illegible. How to fix the problem? --
- The html documentation available on both, on-line and the public distribution,
is missing the links to some well known tasks. For example the links to
epproc and emproc are missing in the list of all tasks.
However, the pdf documentation distributed publicly
includes the specific documents on these tasks.
Is there any fix for such a problem? --
Issues related to older SAS versions can be found on the
SAS watchout archive