XMM-Newton-NEWS  #135, 05-Jun-2012
XMM-Newton Science Operations Centre at
ESA's European Space Astronomy Centre,
P.O. Box - Apdo. 78, 28691 Villanueva de la Cañada, Madrid, Spain
|SOC Home Page:
|Helpdesk web interface:
|Helpdesk email address:
|News Mailing List:
- Version 12.0 of the Science Analysis System (SAS) released
- XMM-Newton Users Group: Minutes of meeting and presentations available
Version 12.0 of the Science Analysis System (SAS) released
The XMM-Newton SAS team is pleased to announce the release of a new
version of the SAS: SAS 12.0.
Binaries for diverse flavours of Linux and MacOs (both in 32- and
64-bit native versions) are available at:
The main improvements of this release can be summarised as follows:
- Introduction of a time variable boresight, for coping with the time
dependency observed in the alignment of the axes of the optical and
X-ray cameras to the star tracker.
- Final establishment of the 2D-PSF as the default EPIC point spread
function. This model reproduces more accurately the detailed shape of
the PSF, including the spoke structures.
- Release of the task "epspatialcti", to correct the EPIC-pn final
event list for the pixel-to-pixel changes in the CCDs Charge Transfer
- Introduction of the task "catcorr", for cross correlation of
detected sources with several catalogues (USNO-B, 2MASS and SDSS)
with the aim of increasing the accuracy of coordinates.
- Introduction of the task "epnoise", to remove soft X-ray noisy
frames from EPIC-pn data, updating accordingly the exposure time.
- Release of the task "heliocentriccorr" for determination of the
heliocentric correction to be applied to the wavelength scale of RGS
- Upgrade of the OM task "omprep" and the OM processing chains so that
the user can choose the source for attitude reconstruction.
We have produced for the first time a 64-bit SAS version for MacOs,
adding to the suite of 64-bit Linux versions released with SAS 11. A
Darwin 11.4 (Lion) MacOSX version is also included for the first time
in this release.
For further details please visit the SAS Pages at:
XMM-Newton Users Group:
Minutes of meeting and presentations available
The XMM-Newton Users Group met on the 19th
of April 2012 at
ESAC. The minutes were approved on the 27th
of May and are available,
together with the presentations of the meeting, at: